Posted: February 20, 2010
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – It took five tries but the Lehigh women’s tennis team finally netted its first win of the spring season as the Mountain Hawks downed Marist 5-2 Saturday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks won the doubles point and added wins in the bottom four singles flight as four players picked up their first singles wins of the spring season. Lehigh improves to 1-4 with the victory.
In doubles action, Lehigh raced to a 1-0 lead with wins at the second and third doubles flights. Senior Stacey Reich and freshman Patricia Muething beat Erin McCarthy and Retta Byron 8-5 at No. 2 doubles, and junior Kiera Murasko-Blank teamed with freshman Abbey Perl on an 8-5 win over Jeannie Lukin and Kayla O’Donovan at No. 3 doubles
The Red Foxes picked up their two victories at the top two singles flights, as Kelsey Raynor defeated senior Julie Arthofer in a three set battle at No. 1 singles 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 and McCarthy bested sophomore Liz Piscitelli in straight sets at No. 2 singles.
Lehigh received a boost from the bottom of its singles lineup. Senior Stacey Reich beat Joana Sun 7-6, 6-4 at No. 3 singles for her first spring win, and Muething added a 6-4, 6-3 win over Lukin at No. 4 singles. Perl also contributed a singles win, 6-1, 6-3 over Byron at No. 5 singles. In the bottom flight, Murasko-Blank needed a third-set ten point tiebreak to defeat Kayla O’Donovan for her first victory of the spring.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on short rest when they return to the Lewis Tennis Center on Sunday to face Drexel at 10 a.m.
Lehigh 5, Marist 2
1. Raynor/Sun (MC) def. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) 8-6
2. Reich/Muething (LU) def. McCarthy/Byron (MC) 8-5
3. Murasko-Blank/Perl (LU) def. Lukin/O’Donovan (MC) 8-5
1. Kelsey Raynor (MC) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
2. Erin McCarthy (MC) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Stacey Reich (LU) def. Joana Sun (MC) 7-6, 6-4
4. Patricia Muething (LU) def. Jeannie Lukin (MC) 6-4, 6-3
5. Abbey Perl (LU) def. Retta Byron (MC) 6-1, 6-3
6. Kiera Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Kayla O’Donovan (MC) 3-6, 6-4, 10-4