Posted: February 14, 2010
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team continued its recent winning ways as the Mountain Hawks picked up their fourth straight victory, downing Mount St. Mary’s 6-1 Sunday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks completed a 3-0 weekend by sweeping the three doubles matches and winning five of six singles matches to improve to 4-3 on the spring season.
Doubles action saw the Mountain Hawks win all three flights. Juniors Arnaldo Pacheco and Cameron Silbert had the most lopsided victory of the three flights, downing Thad Mostowtt and Taylor Place by an 8-3 score. Juniors Troy List and Collin Laffey earned an 8-6 win at No. 1 doubles while freshman Matt Savran and junior Leland Richardson teamed for a win at No. 2 doubles.
Lehigh continued its roll through singles play with List and Laffey winning in straight sets at the top two flights. At No. 3 singles Richardson dropped the first set to Mostowtt 1-6 but rallied to win the next two by identical 6-2 scores. Sophomores Ryan Krueger and Edgars Rauza got into the act as well, as Kruger beat Andrew Marinucci in straight sets at No. 4 singles, while Rauza won 6-4, 7-5 over Taylor Place at No. 5 singles. The Mountaineers lone win came at No. 6 singles where Matthew Blake spoiled the season debut of junior Chris Collins, winning 10-5 in a third set ten-point tiebreak.
The Mountain Hawks will put their winning streak on the line on Saturday when they host Georgetown. The match is set for an 11 a.m. start from the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 6, Mount St. Mary’s 1
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Plastow/Blake (MSM) 8-6
2. Savran/Richardson (LU) def. Marinucci/Salomon (MSM) 8-5
3. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) def. Mostowtt/Place (MSM) 8-3
1. Troy List (LU) def. Patrick Plastow (MSM) 6-4, 6-0
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. Mike Salomon (MSM) 6-2, 6-2
3. Leland Richardson (LU) def. Thad Mostowtt (MSM) 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Ryan Krueger (LU) def. Andrew Marinucci (MSM) 6-2, 6-0
5. Edgars Rauza (LU) def. Taylor Place (MSM) 6-4, 7-5
6. Matthew Blake (MSM) def. Chris Collins (LU) 6-3, 2-6, 10-5