Posted: February 14, 2010
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Leading 3-2 after the first four singles flights, Lehigh could not capture the elusive fourth point as Mount St. Mary’s rallied for a 4-3 victory in a marathon match that lasted nearly seven hours at the Lewis Tennis Center. The deciding match came at No. 5 singles where the Mountaineers Emily Grugan edged freshman Gena Levengood in a third set tiebreak. Senior Julie Arthofer and freshman Patricia Muething picked up wins in singles and doubles for Lehigh, which fell to 0-4 with the setback.
Lehigh captured the doubles point with wins at the top two flights as Arthofer teamed with sophomore Liz Piscitelli to win at No. 1 doubles and Muething teamed with senior Stacey Reich to win at No. 2 doubles.
In singles play Arthofer cruised past Emily Bolchoz 6-0, 6-2 at No. 1 singles. The bottom four flights all went three sets. Muething dropped the first set to Renee Deane 4-6 but took the next two sets 6-4, 6-3. The Mountaineers picked up a straight set win at No. 2 singles and came from a set down to win at No. 3 and No. 6 singles. The deciding match lasted nearly three hours at No. 5 singles as Levengood won the first set 7-6, but Grugan came back to win the next two sets 7-5 and 7-6.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Saturday when they host Marist at 2 p.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Mount St. Mary’s 4, Lehigh 3
1. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) def. Bolchoz/Deane (MSM)
2. Reich/Muething (LU) def. Conroy/Haley (MSM)
3. Landini/Grugon (MSM) def. Murasko-Blank/Perl (LU)
1. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Emily Bolchoz (MSM) 6-0, 6-2
2. Kelly Conroy (MSM) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Carly Landini (MSM) def. Stacey Reich (LU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Patricia Muething (LU) def. Renee Deane (MSM) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Emily Grugan (MSM) def. Gena Levengood (LU) 6-7, 7-5, 7-6
6. Emma Haley (MSM) def. Kiera Murasko-Blank (LU) 6-7, 7-5, 6-4