Posted: February 6, 2010
BOSTON – It took four tries, but the Lehigh men’s tennis team picked up its first win of the spring season with an impressive 6-1 victory over Boston University Saturday afternoon at the Track and Tennis Center. After playing well in a loss to Brown Friday night, Lehigh continued its solid overall play, winning two doubles matches and five of the six singles matches as the Mountain Hawks improve to 1-3 on the spring season.
“I’m really proud of these guys,” said Lehigh head coach Dave Shook. “The courts were very rubbery, almost like an indoor track and that really slowed the ball down, but our guys dealt with the adversity well. They earned this win today.”
After dropping the match at No. 1 doubles the Mountain Hawks bounced back with wins at second and third doubles to claim the first point of the match. Sophomore Leland Richardson and Matt Savran teamed to defeat Bill Kring and Alex Green 8-5 at No. 2 doubles, while juniors Arnaldo Pacheco and Cameron Silbert downed Alex Hallenbeck and Marcus Vanberkel by the same 8-5 score.
In singles play, sophomore Ryan Krueger extended Lehigh’s lead with a 6-2, 7-5 win over Regis Chang at No. 5 singles. Junior Troy List and freshman Matt Savran added wins at first and fourth singles respectively, both by 7-6, 7-6 scores. Junior Collin Laffey added his first win of the spring, downing James Bernstein 6-4, 6-4 at No. 3 singles.
“Our freshman, Matt Savran did a really nice job,” said Shook. “He’s a serve and volley guy so I thought the slow court would hurt his game, but he kept battling. Troy List has stepped up his game as well and is playing like a leader should. Our guys have been working very hard and that hard work paid off today.”
The Mountain Hawks will return home for a pair of matches next Saturday when they host St. Francis (N.Y.) at 9 a.m. and Monmouth at 4 p.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 6, American 1
1. Chudacoff/Friedman (BU) def. List/Laffey (LU) 8-3
2. Richardson/Savran (LU) def. Kring/Green (BU) 8-5
3. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) def. Hallenbeck/Vanberkel (BU) 8-5
1. Troy List (LU) def. Jeff Chudacoff (BU) 7-6, 7-6
2. Josh Friedman (BU) def. Leland Richardson (LU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Collin Laffey (LU) def. James Bernstein (BU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Matt Savran (LU) def. Alex Hallenbeck (BU) 7-6, 7-6
5. Ryan Krueger (LU) def. Regis Chang (BU) 6-2, 7-5
6. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Marcus Vanberkel (BU) 6-2, 6-3