Posted: January 31, 2010
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – In its second of eight straight home matches to open the spring season, Lehigh fell to Fairleigh Dickinson 7-0 Sunday afternoon at the Lewis Tennis Center. The visiting Knights brought one of their strongest teams in recent years and swept through all three doubles matches before winning all six singles matches in straight sets. The loss drops the Mountain Hawks to 0-2 on the season.
“Their coach told me that this may be the best women’s team he’s had at FDU,” said Lehigh head coach Dave Shook. “Starting with Penn State and FDU is a tough way to go for our team. I talked to the girls after the match and everyone feels that if we continue to work hard we can close the gap against these scholarship teams.”
Fairleigh Dickinson opened the match by sweeping the doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. In singles play, the Knights captured all six flights in straight sets. Senior Julie Arthofer forced a first-set tiebreak and won a total of eight games against Elmine Botes at No. 1 singles, while freshman Abbey Perl won a total of nine games in a 7-5, 6-4 loss to Ksenia Chernyshova at No. 5 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will continue their home stand on Saturday when they play host to Radford. First serves are set for 10 a.m. from the Lewis Tennis Center.
Fairleigh Dickinson 7 Lehigh 0
1. Botes/Korshunova (FDU) def. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) 8-2
2. Prantl/Morina (FDU) def. Reich/Muething (LU) 8-1
3. Chernyshova/Jess DeCarlos (FDU) def. Perl/Murasko-Blank (LU) 8-3
1. Elmine Botes (FDU) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 7-6, 6-2
2. Julija Korshunova (FDU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Julia Prantl (FDU) def. Stacey Reich (LU) 6- 1, 6-0
4. Egzona Morina (FDU) def. Patricia Muething (LU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Ksenia Chernyshova (FDU) def. Abbey Perl (LU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Jess DeCarlos (FDU) def. Gena Levengood (LU) 6-2, 6-3
Lehigh Tennis - Fairleigh Dickinson Post-Match Extra