Posted: January 24, 2010
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Lehigh had its hands full with No. 54 Penn State and despite a strong overall effort the Mountain Hawks fell to the Nittany Lions by a 7-0 score in their spring season opener Sunday at the Penn State Indoor Tennis Center. The Nittany Lions swept through all three doubles matches and six singles matches as they won their second match of the day, improving to 2-0 on the dual season. The Mountain Hawks fall to 0-1 with the loss.
“”We played really well,” explained Lehigh head coach Dave Shook. “I thought our one freshman (Matt Savran) did a good job. We’re not ready to beat a top-50 team after one week of practice but there’s certainly a cause for optimism.”
Penn State swept its way to the doubles point with the closest match coming at No. 3 where junior Cameron Silbert and sophomore Ryan Krueger won six games in a loss to Taylor Cohen and Bryan Welnetz.
In singles play, the Nittany Lions captured all six matches in straight sets. Lehigh’s season opening line-up featured junior Troy List at No. 1 singles, sophomore Leland Richardson in the No. 2 spot, junior Collin Laffey at No. 3 singles, Krueger at No. 4, Savran at No.5 and sophomore Edgars Rauza in the No. 6 spot.
“We’re excited to get back to work at practice,” said Shook. “We’re looking forward to getting back out there next Sunday.”
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court next Sunday when they open their home schedule against Fairleigh Dickinson. First serves are set for 1 p.m. from the Lewis Tennis Center.
Penn State 7, Lehigh 0
1. Gormley/Hardie (PSU) def. List/Laffey (LU) 8-2
2. Lee/St-Maurice (PSU) def. Savran/Richardson (LU) 8-4
3. Cohen/Welnetz (PSU) def. Silbert/Krueger (LU) 8-6
1. Eddie Bourchier (PSU) def. Troy List (LU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Jason Lee (PSU) def. Leland Richardson (LU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Bryan Welnetz (PSU) def. Collin Laffey (LU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Taylor Cohen (PSU) def. Ryan Krueger (LU) 6-4, 6-3
5. C.J. Griffin (PSU) def. Matt Savran (LU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Guanhua Chen (PSU) def. Edgars Rauza (LU) 6-0, 6-1