Posted: January 24, 2010
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh opened up its spring season by dropping a 5-2 match to a shorthanded Penn State squad Sunday afternoon at the Lewis Tennis Center. Freshman Gena Levengood picked up a win for the Mountain Hawks at No. 5 singles but the Nittany Lions, despite bringing just five players to Bethlehem, won two doubles matches and the first four singles flights to move to 2-0 on the season. Lehigh opens its season at 0-1.
Penn State opened a 1-0 lead after doubles play with wins at the top two flights. Senior Julie Arthofer and sophomore Liz Piscitelli teamed at No. 1 doubles, falling to Sarah Lotto and Maria Prishlyak 8-0, while senior Stacey Reich teamed with freshman Patricia Muething teamed to take three games against Michaela Stracar and Sarah Henderson at No. 2 doubles. The Nittany Lions forfeited No. 3 doubles to Lehigh with the point already clinched.
After dropping the first four singles matches, Levengood went out and won her debut match 6-0, 6-0 over Stephanie Tarlle. Lehigh’s other point came from a Penn State forfeit at No. 6 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action next Sunday when they host Fairleigh Dickinson at 10 a.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Penn State 5, Lehigh 2
1. Lotto/Prishlyak (PSU) def. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) 8-0
2. Stracar/Henderson (PSU) def. Reich/Muething (LU) 8-3
3. Penn State forfeit to Lehigh
1. Sarah Lotto (PSU) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Maria Prishlyak (PSU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Sarah Henderson (PSU) def. Stacey Reich (LU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Michaela Stracar (PSU) def. Patricia Muething (LU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Gena Levengood (LU) def. Stephanie Tarlle (PSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Penn State forfeit to Lehigh
Lehigh - Penn State Post Match Extra