Posted: October 24, 2009
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Rain forced day one of the Lehigh Fall Tennis Championships inside the Lewis Tennis Center on Saturday. Because of the rains and the number of teams on hand, the Mountain Hawks were limited to nine doubles matches on the day, as Lehigh played doubles matches against teams from Bryant, Temple and Monmouth.
Lehigh finished the day with a 6-3 record in those matches. Junior Chris Collins and sophomore Ryan Krueger teamed to go 2-0, while the freshmen tandem of Greg Holtzman and Andrew Krentz combined to upset one of Temple’s top teams.
Collins and Krueger were playing together at No. 4 doubles when they knocked off Dan Cournoyer and Andres Orobitg of Bryant 8-3 in the morning and a hybrid team consisting of Holtzman and Temple’s Luv Sodha 8-4.
Holtzman and Krentz won 8-6 over Matt King and Dmitry Vizhunov of Temple in the morning. Later in the day the Owl duo knocked off Lehigh’s top team of juniors Troy List and Collin Laffey 8-6. List and Laffey finished the day 1-1 in doubles as did teams of sophomore Edgars Rauza and Matt Savran and juniors Arnaldo Pacheco and Cameron Silbert.
The Lehigh Fall Tennis Championships will Conclude Sunday on Lehigh’s Goodman Campus, with singles matches on the Ulrich Varsity Courts and inside the Lewis Tennis Center weather permitting.
Lehigh vs. Bryant
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Gardiner/Whiting (BU) 8-2
2. Balestrieri/Paredes (BU) def. Rauza/Savran (LU) 9-8
3. Nowak/Hill (BU) def. Silbert/Pacheco (LU) 8-4
4. Collins/Krueger (LU) def. Cournoyer/Orobitg (BU) 8-3
Lehigh vs. Temple/Monmouth
1. King/Vizhunov (TU) def. List/Laffey (LU) 8-6
2. Rauza/Savran (LU) def. Forrest/Bhalla (MU) 8-3
3. Silbert/Pacheco (LU) def. Sherwood/Dashiell (MU) 9-7
4. Collins/Krueger (LU) def. Holtzman (LU)/Sodha (TU) 8-4
Holtzman/Krentz (LU) def. King/Vizhunov (TU) 8-6