Posted: October 11, 2009
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh women’s tennis team finished up play at the Men’s and Women’s Team Tennis Challenge Sunday afternoon on the Goodman Campus. On the second and final day of action the Mountain Hawks split six singles matches and dropped three doubles contests against a contingent from Patriot League rival Army.
The day began with singles play between the league rivals, with Lehigh winning three matches and taking two others to third-set ten-point tiebreakers. At No. 3 singles senior Stacey Reich won 6-3, 6-0 over Audrey Hansen. Freshman Patricia Muething downed Morgan Kiser 6-4, 6-0 at No. 4 singles and junior Kiera Murasko-Blank added a 7-5, 6-3 win over Holly Pappafotis at No. 5 singles.
The two teams wrapped up the two-day event with three doubles matches, with Army winning all three.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on October 24 when Lehigh hosts the two-day Lehigh Fall Tennis Championships on the Ulrich Varsity Courts and inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh vs. Army
1. Hang/Hansen (Army) def. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) 8-6
2. Ford/Kiser (Army) def. Muething/Reich (LU) 8-5
3. Pappafotis/Pope (Army) def. Murasko-Blank/Perl (LU) 8-4
1. Paige Ford (Army) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 1-6, 6-2, 10-5
2. Annie Hang (Army) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Stacey Reich (LU) def. Audrey Hansen (Army) 6-3, 6-0
4. Patricia Muething (LU) def. Morgan Kiser (Army) 6-4, 6-0
5. Kiera Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Holly Pappafotis (Army) 7-5, 6-3
6. Kari Pope (Army) def. Gena Levengood (LU) 6-3, 3-6,10-4