Posted: October 10, 2009
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Day one is complete at the Lehigh Men’s and Women’s Team Tennis Challenge, hosted by the Mountain Hawks Saturday on the Ulrich Varsity Courts and inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks played two rounds of doubles matches taking on Temple and Moravian and also played a round of singles matches against the Owls. Delaware rounds out the four team field.
In singles play sophomore Edgars Rauza and freshman Matt Savran picked up singles wins as the Mountain Hawks split four matches with Temple. Rauza beat Dmitry Vizhunov in a third-set 10-point tiebreak, while Savran also needed a 10-point tiebreak to beat Matt King. Temple won both contested doubles matches versus Lehigh.
The Mountain Hawks also played doubles matches against Moravian with Rauza and Savran teaming to defeat Kevin Holze and Ian Box 8-4 and freshmen Matt Fink and Greg Holtzman beating Drew Shreter and Nick Yelito 8-3.
In addition, several Lehigh players filled in for Moravian in doubles action against Delaware. A team of junior Chris Collins and sophomore Ryan Krueger defeated Nick Piacente and Ryan Kent 9-7.
The Lehigh Men’s and Women’s Team Tennis Challenge concludes Sunday on Lehigh’s Goodman Campus, with action scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m.
Lehigh vs. Temple
1. F. Rams/K. Rams (TU) def. List/Laffey (LU) 8-1
2. Vizhunov/King (TU) def. Savran/Rauza (LU) 8-2
1. Filip Rams (TU) def. Troy List (LU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Kacper Rams (TU) def. Collin Laffey (LU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Edgars Rauza (LU) def. Dmitry Vizhunov (TU) 6-3, 4-6, 10-7
4. Matt Savran (LU) def. Matt King (TU) 6-1, 4-6, 11-9
Lehigh vs. Moravian
1. Rauza/Savran (LU) def. Holze/Box (MC) 8-4
2. Fink/Holtzman (LU) def. Shreter/Yelito (MC) 8-3
3. List/Laffey (LU) def. Silbert/Pacheco (LU) 8-4*
*Lehigh players filled in for shorthanded Moravian
Lehigh vs. Delaware
Krueger/Collins (LU) def. Piacente/Kent (UD) 9-7
Vorobyov/Marshall (UD) def. Holtzman/Krentz (LU) 9-8
Scott/Hincker (UD) def. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) 9-7