Posted: April 25, 2009
LEWISBURG, Pa. – Lehigh’s season came to an end on Saturday as Bucknell blanked the Mountain Hawks 4-0 in the Patriot League semifinals at the Bison’s Varsity Tennis Courts. The Bison had little trouble in winning the doubles point and then added wins at second, third and fourth singles to end Lehigh’s season and move into Sunday’s championship match against Army. Lehigh, the No. 3 seed, sees its season end at 6-11.
In doubles play the Bison dropped just one game in the top two flights to earn the first point. Lauren Lucido and Paulina Gambo blanked seniors Allie Schwartz and Ariela Cohen at No. 1 doubles, while Tania Varela and Carlin Calcaterra earned an 8-1 win over junior Julie Arthofer and freshman Liz Piscitelli at No. 2 doubles. The Mountain Hawks duo of Stacey Reich and Ruthie Furman was ahead in their match at No. 3 doubles, but that match was not finished.
Bucknell extended its lead when Gamboa beat Arthofer 6-1, 6-1 at No. 3 singles, and clinched the match with wins at No. 2 and No. 4 singles as Lucido beat Cohen 6-3, 6-1 at No. 2, while Demi Iepuras beat Piscitelli 6-3, 6-1 at No. 4. The Bison were also leading in the three matches that did not finish.
Lehigh’s season ends in the Patriot League semifinals for the sixth straight season. The Mountain Hawks will lose half their team to graduation, but return Arthofer, Furman, Piscitelli and sophomore Kiera Murasko-Blank.
Bucknell 4, Lehigh 0
1. Lucido/Gamboa (BU) def. Schwartz/Cohen (LU) 8-0
2. Varela/Calcaterra (BU) def. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) 8-1
3. Reich/Furman (LU) led Dwojewski/Globerman (BU) 5-3, DNF
1. Tania Varela (BU) led Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-4, 5-1, DNF
2. Lauren Lucido (BU) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Paulina Gamboa (BU) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Demi Iepuras (BU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Dara Dwojewski (BU) led Stacey Reich (LU) 7-5, 0-0, DNF
6. Ashley Globerman (BU) led Ruthie Furman (LU) 6-3, 6-2, DNF