Posted: April 24, 2009
LEWISBURG, Pa. – Lehigh advanced to the semifinals of the Patriot League tournament with a convincing 4-0 win over rival Lafayette Friday at Bucknell’s Varsity Tennis Courts. Junior Julie Arthofer and freshman Liz Piscitelli picked up wins in both doubles and singles, while junior Stacey Reich delivered the clinching point with a straight set win at No. 5 singles. Lehigh advances to 6-10 on the season, and the Mountain Hawks will now face No. 2 seed and host Bucknell in the semifinals on Saturday.
The No. 3 seed Mountain Hawks cruised to the first point of the match with wins at second and third doubles. Arthofer and Piscitelli teamed to blank Ansley Scudder and Nancy Parker 8-0 at No. 2 doubles while Reich teamed with sophomore Kiera Murasko-Blank to win 8-3 over Sarah Sykes and Emily DeLuca at No. 3 doubles.
In singles play, Arthofer put Lehigh up 2-0 with a convincing 6-1, 6-0 win over Sykes at No. 3 singles. Piscitelli then followed with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Rachel Rohinsky at No. 4 singles. Reich clinched Lehigh’s sixth straight semifinal appearance with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Caitlin Gordon at No. 5 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will face Bucknell in Saturday’s second semifinal at 2 p.m. from the Varsity Tennis Courts. The Bison edged Lehigh 4-3 back on April 15 at the Lewis Tennis Center. No. 5 seed Colgate will face No. 1 seed Army in Saturday’s other semifinal.
Lehigh 4, Lafayette 0
1. Schwartz/Cohen (LU) led Seranko/Gordon (LC) 4-3, DNF
2. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) def. Scudder/Parker (LC) 8-0
3. Reich/Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Sykes/DeLuca (LC) 8-3
1. Allie Schwartz (LU) led Allie Seranko (LC) 6-4, 1-2, DNF
2. Ariela Cohen (LU) led Ansley Scudder (LC) 6-0, 3-5, DNF
3. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Sarah Sykes (LC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Liz Piscitelli (LU) def. Rachel Rohinsky (LC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Stacey Reich (LU) def. Caitlin Gordon (LC) 6-2, 6-4
6. Kiera Murasko-Blank (LU) led Emily DeLuca (LC) 6-4, 4-5, DNF