Posted: April 19, 2009
WEST POINT, N.Y. – Junior Julie Arthofer won her match at No. 3 singles, but Lehigh fell to Patriot League leader Army 6-1 Sunday at the Malek Tennis Courts. The Black Knights captured the doubles point and five of six singles matches to clinch their seventh straight undefeated Patriot League season. The Black Knights are now 22-8 overall and 5-0 in the league, while Lehigh falls to 5-10, 2-2 in league matches.
After winning all three matches to claim the doubles point, Army wasted little time piling up singles wins, as Niki Flach dropped just three games against sophomore Ariela Cohen at No. 2 singles, Kristin Beehler dropped just two against freshman Liz Piscitelli at No. 4 singles. Robie Verano clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Ruthie Furman at No. 6 singles.
Arthofer delivered Lehigh’s lone point with a 7-6, 6-4 win over Sarah Giles-Madden at No. 3 singles. With the victory, Arthofer moves to 4-0 in Patriot League singles matches this season.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Monday when they head to Easton to wrap up the regular season against rival Lafayette. Match time is set for 4 p.m. from the Sullivan Courts.
Army 6, Lehigh 1
1. Flach/Tollerton (Army) def. Schwartz/Cohen (LU) 8-2
2. Houghton/Beehler (Army) def. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) 8-1
3. Giles-Madden/Robie Verano (Army) def. Reich/Furman (LU) 8-4
1. Anne Houghton (Army) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Niki Flach (Army) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Sarah Giles-Madden (Army) 7-6 (5), 6-4
4. Kristin Beehler (Army) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Michael Tollerton (Army) def. Stacey Reich (LU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Robie Verano (Army) def. Ruthie Furman (LU) 6-3, 6-2