Posted: April 17, 2009
WEST POINT, N.Y. – Lehigh saw its 2009 season come to an end on Friday with a 4-2 loss to Bucknell in the opening round of the Patriot League tournament at Army’s Malek Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks won the doubles point and added a win from sophomore Collin Laffey but Bucknell picked up wins at the bottom four singles flights to move into Saturday’s semifinals against No. 1 seed Navy. Lehigh concludes its season at 8-16.
In doubles action, Bucknell picked up a win at No. 1 doubles, but the Mountain Hawks battled back to win at No. 3 and No. 2 doubles to take a 1-0 lead in the match. At No. 3 doubles sophomores Arnaldo Pacheco and Cameron Silbert cruised to an 8-2 win over Dan Bednarek and Jon Brenner. Lehigh’s freshman duo of Leland Richardson and Edgars Rauza clinched the first point of the match with an 8-6 win over Greg Cohenca and Mark Malloy.
Laffey garnered Lehigh’s second point with an impressive 6-2, 6-4 win over Anton Kovic at No. 2 singles. Bucknell began its rally when Brenner won in straight sets over Pacheco at No. 5 singles. The remaining four singles matches all went to three sets, as the Bison won three of them to clinch the match. Bednarek lost the first set but rallied past sophomore Chris Collins at No. 6 singles, while Malloy and Cohenca won the first set and dropped the second, before prevailing in third sets against Richardson and Rauza respectively.
The only match not to be completed was at No. 1 singles where Ryan Sandburg was up a game on sophomore Troy List in the third set.
Lehigh’s season comes to an end at 8-16, but the Mountain Hawks return virtually their entire team for next season.
Bucknell 4, Lehigh 2
1. Sandburg/Kovic (BU) def. List/Laffey (LU) 8-3
2. Richardson/Rauza (LU) def. Cohenca/Malloy (BU) 8-6
3. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) def. Bednarek/Brenner (BU) 8-2
1. Ryan Sandburg (BU) vs. Troy List (LU) 6-2, 4-6, 5-4, DNF
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. Anton Kovic (BU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Mark Malloy (BU) def. Leland Richardson (LU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
4. Greg Cohenca (BU) def. Edgars Rauza (LU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
5. Jon Brenner (BU) def. Arnaldo Pacheco (LU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Dan Bednarek (BU) def. Chris Collins (LU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-0