Posted: April 14, 2009
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh tuned up for its upcoming Patriot League tournament appearance with a 4-3 win over Sacred Heart Tuesday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. Sophomore Collin Laffey fought off five match points, in overcoming a 5-2 deficit in the third set to win his match with Chris Ujkic at No. 2 singles and clinch the match for the Mountain Hawks. Lehigh won two doubles matches and three singles on the day to improve to 8-15 overall.
Following a loss at No. 1 doubles, Lehigh battled back to win the bottom two flights to claim the first point. Sophomores Cameron Silbert and Arnaldo Pacheco knocked-off Jinal Shah and Nick Mazzarese 8-4 at No. 3 doubles, while freshman Leland Richardson and Edgars Rauza won 8-6 over Kirill Kasyanov and Cole Conrad at No. 2 doubles.
Rauza extended Lehigh’s lead with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Mazzarese at No. 4 singles. At No. 1 singles, sophomore Troy List prevailed in a tight three-set affair with Kasyanov. List won the first set in a tiebreak, lost the second in a tiebreak, but built a 4-1 lead in the third set en route to a 6-4 win.
Laffey dropped the first set versus Ujkic 4-6, but battled back to win the second by the same 6-4 score. In the third, Ujkic went up 5-2, before Laffey won five straight games to give the Mountain Hawks the deciding point in the match.
The Mountain Hawks are scheduled to wrap-up the regular season on Wednesday when they host Robert Morris at 3 p.m. Lehigh will be the No. 5 seed in the Patriot League tournament and will open tournament play against No. 4 seed Bucknell, Friday at 9 a.m. at Army’s Malek Tennis Center.
Lehigh 4, Sacred Heart 3
1. Gart/Syer (SHU) def. List/Laffey (LU) 8-3
2. Richardson/Rauza (LU) def. Kasyanov/Conrad (SHU) 8-6
3. Silbert/Pacheco (LU) def. Shah/Mazzarese (SHU) 8-4
1. Troy List (LU) def. Kirill Kasyanov (SHU) 7-6, 6-7, 6-4
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. Chris Ujkic (SHU) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. Adam Gart (SHU) def. Leland Richardson (LU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Edgars Rauza (LU) def. Nick Mazzarese (SHU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Jinal Shah (SHU) def. Chris Collins (LU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Mike Syer (SHU) def. Ryan Krueger (LU) 5-7, 6-3, 10-6