Posted: April 9, 2009
LEWISBURG, Pa. – In its final Patriot League match of the regular season Lehigh fell 6-1 to Bucknell Thursday on the Varsity Tennis Courts. Sophomore Troy List won his match at No. 1 singles to account for the Mountain Hawks lone point. Arnaldo Pacheco and Cameron Silbert added a win at No. 3 doubles for Lehigh, which falls to 7-15 overall and 2-4 in league matches.
It was an interesting trip to Lewisburg for the Mountain Hawks, who were delayed an hour due to an accident on the roadways.
“We weren’t quite ready,” explained head coach Dave Shook. “A lot of that has to do with us sitting around in the vans for four hours. We were a little sluggish in the doubles, that’s something we’d like to try and win next time, but Troy (List) did a nice job winning his match at No. 1 singles.
Pacheco and Silbert won 8-6 over Gregory Maxson and Clark Bogle at third doubles, but the host Bison won the matches at No. 1 and No. 2 singles to claim the first point of the match.
List handled Ryan Sandburg 7-6, 6-3 at first singles to get Lehigh on the board, but Bucknell picked up straight set wins at second, third and fourth singles. Pacheco and Silbert each won the first set of their matches at No. 5 and 6 singles respectively, but Bucknell’s Daniel Bednarek and Gregory Maxson rallied for three-set victories.
Lehigh will likely be the No. 5 seed in the Patriot League tournament which begins next Friday at West Point, N.Y. Its’ likely first round opponent could be Bucknell, which is now 6-8 overall and 1-2 in the league.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Tuesday, when they welcome Sacred Heart to the Ulrich Varsity Courts for a 3 p.m. match.
Bucknell 6, Lehigh 1
1. Sandburg/Kovic (BU) def. List/Laffey (LU) 8-2
2. Cohenca/Malloy(BU) def. Rauza/Richardson (LU) 8-4
3. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) def. Maxson/Bogle (BU) 8-6
1. Troy List (LU) def. Ryan Sandburg (BU) 7-6, 6-3
2. Anton Kovic (BU) def. Collin Laffey (LU) 6-4, 7-6
3. Mark Malloy (BU) def. Leland Richardson (LU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Gregg Cohenca (BU) def. Edgars Rauza (LU) 7-6, 6-3
5. Daniel Bednarek (BU) def. Arnaldo Pacheco (LU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
6. Gregory Maxson (BU) def. Cameron Silbert (LU) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4