SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Lehigh opened up Patriot League play with a 4-1 victory over Colgate Sunday at the Eastside Racquet Club. The Mountain Hawks won two of three doubles matches for the first point and then captured victories in three of the top four singles flights to snap a three-match losing streak as they improve to 4-8 on the season and 1-0 in the Patriot League.
After Lehigh won the doubles point, Colgate tied the match at one with a win over senior Allie Schwartz at No. 1 singles. The Mountain Hawks responded though, as junior Julie Arthofer picked up a win at No. 3 singles and freshman Liz Piscitelli added a win at No. 4 singles, her second straight singles win and third in the last five matches. Senior Ariela Cohen clinched the match with a win at No. 2 singles, and the teams elected not to finish the bottom two flights.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Wednesday when they travel to Cornell for a 3 p.m. match.
Lehigh 4, Colgate 1
1. DeRose/Williams (CU) def. Schwartz/Cohen (LU) 8-5
2. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) def. Fenn/Brown (CU) 8-4
3. Reich Furman (LU) def. Erickson/Thaney (CU) 8-4
1. Elise DeRose (CU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Ariela Cohen (LU) def. Alexandra Erickson (CU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Erin Fenn (CU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Liz Piscitelli (LU) def. Cameron Williams (CU) 6-3, 7-6
5. Stacey Reich (LU) vs. Cameron Thaney (CU) 6-3, DNF
6. Ruthie Furman (LU) vs. Jackie Stimmel (CU), DNF