Posted: March 19, 2009
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Freshman Liz Piscitelli picked up a win at No. 4 singles to account for Lehigh’s only point as the Mountain Hawks fell to in-state rival Penn State 6-1 Thursday at the Sarni Tennis Center. Piscitelli split the first two sets with Leyla Morzan before winning a third set ten point tiebreak 10-7. The host Nittany Lions swept the three doubles matches and won the remaining five singles matches in straight sets to improve to 3-11, while Lehigh is now 3-8 on the season.
Penn State raced to the early 1-0 capturing all three doubles matches in flight order. In singles play, the Nittany Lions received wins from Denisa Zobeideh over junior Julie Arthofer 6-1, 6-1 at No. 3 singles and then Marisa Prishlyak over Stacey Reich at No. 5 singles and then clinched the match with Lauren McCarthy’s 6-0, 6-1 win over Ariela Cohen at No. 2 singles. Piscitelli’s win came in the final match to be complete, as Lehigh salvaged a point from its Big Ten opponent.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Sunday when they visit central New York to open up Patriot League play against Colgate. The match will be played in Syracuse, N.Y. and is slated for a 9 a.m. start.
Penn State 6, Lehigh 1
1. Mical/Lotto (PSU) def. Schwartz/Cohen (LU) 8-3
2. McCarthy/Zobeideh (PSU) def. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) 8-1
3. Hefter/Roth (PSU) def. Reich/Furman (LU) 8-6
1. Monica Mical (PSU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Lauren McCarthy (PSU) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Denisa Zobeideh (PSU) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Liz Piscitelli (LU) def. Leyla Morzan (PSU) 7-5, 3-6, 10-7
5. Maria Prishlyak (PSU) def. Stacey Reich (LU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Michaela Stracar (PSU) def. Ruthie Furman (LU) 6-1, 6-0