Posted: March 15, 2009
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Playing its third match in as many days, Lehigh fell to Delaware by a 6-1 score Sunday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Fightin’ Blue Hens prevailed in two lengthy doubles battles to claim the first point and then captured five of six singles matches to earn the victory. Sophomore Collin Laffey won at No. 2 singles to earn the only point for Lehigh as the Mountain Hawks fall to 5-11 with the setback.
Things started well for the Brown and White in doubles as Laffey and Troy List won at first doubles 8-6 over Austin Longacre and Nolan Greenberg. The Mountain Hawks were down in second and third doubles, but rallied to force tiebreakers in both. At No. 2 doubles, Delaware’s Chris Hincker and Courtney Scott won the tiebreaker 7-5 over sophomores Cameron Silbert and Arnaldo Pacheco, while at No. 3 doubles Andre Vorobyov and Camilo Perez prevailed 9-8 after winning the tiebreak 7-0.
In singles play, Delaware extended its lead with wins at No. 3 and No. 4 singles. Laffey put Lehigh on the scoreboard with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Vorobyov at second singles. The Fightin’ Blue Hens clinched the match when Longacre outlasted List in three sets at No. 1 singles. Delaware then added straight set wins at the bottom two singles flights.
The Mountain Hawks will be back on the courts on Sunday when they open up Patriot League play against the Colgate Raiders. The match will be played in Syracuse, N.Y. and action gets underway at 1 p.m.
Delaware 6, Lehigh 1
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Longacre/Greenberg (UD) 8-6
2. Hincker/Scott (UD) def. Silbert/Pacheco (LU) 9-8
3. Vorobyov/Perez (UD) def. Rauza/Collins (LU) 9-8
1. Austin Longacre (UD) def. Troy List (LU) 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. Andre Vorobyov (UD) 6-4, 6-3
3. Chris Hincker (UD) def. Edgars Rauza (LU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Sam Barrer (UD) def. Chris Collins (LU) 7-5, 6-1
5. Courtney Scott (UD) def. Cameron Silbert (LU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Nick Piacente (UD) def. Arnaldo Pacheco (LU) 6-3, 6-2