Posted: March 14, 2009
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – In arguably its most impressive season performance to date, Lehigh blanked Niagara 7-0 Saturday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks swept through the doubles matches and won all six singles matches in straight sets to snap a two-match slide and improve to 5-10 on the season.
Lehigh’s top doubles team of sophomores Troy List and Collin Laffey were dominant in an 8-1 win over Marc Dickinson and Joe Heckley at No. 1 doubles. Both men later added singles wins, as List downed Dickinson 6-0, 6-3 and Laffey, who played at Niagara last year, won 6-3, 6-3 over David Lemieux-Sarrassin.
The Mountain Hawks clinched the doubles point with a win at No. 3 doubles as Edgars Rauza and Chris Collins downed John Baird and Jordan Tedasco-Blair 8-4. Rauza and Collins also cruised to straight-set victories at No. 3 and No. 4 singles respectively.
The other two members of the Lehigh lineup, sophomores Cameron Silbert and Arnaldo Pacheco added a doubles win, and each also enjoyed convincing singles wins. Silbert dropped just three games versus Tedasco-Blair at No. 5 singles, while Pacheco shut out Baird 6-0, 6-0 at No. 6
The Mountain Hawks will wrap-up their busy weekend on Sunday when they face Delaware at 2 p.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 7, Niagara 0
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Dickinson/Heckley (NU) 8-1
2. Silbert/Pacheco (LU) def. Bolea/Lemieux-Sarrassin (NU) 8-6
3. Rauza/Collins (LU) def. Baird/Tedasco-Blair (NU) 8-4
1. Troy List (LU) def. Marc Dickinson (NU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. David Lemieux-Sarrassin (NU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Edgars Rauza (LU) def. Joe Heckley (NU) 6-4, 7-5
4. Chris Collins (LU) def. Nick Bollea (NU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Cameron Silbert (LU) def. Jordan Tedasco-Blair (NU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Arnaldo Pacheco (LU) def. John Baird (NU) 6-0, 6-0