Posted: March 4, 2009
DeLAND, Fla. – In the final match of its three-day Florida swing, Lehigh fell to No. 69 Stetson by a 7-0 score Wednesday afternoon at the Mandy Stoll Tennis Center. The host Hatters swept all three doubles matches and then won all six singles contests in straight sets to give head coach Pierre Pilote his 300th career win. Stetson improves to 7-3 on the year, while Lehigh wraps-up its spring break trip at 1-2 and falls to 4-9 on the season.
The Hatters opened doubles play with an 8-0 win from Cesare Gallo and Mark Mestan over sophomore Chris Collins and freshman Ryan Krueger at No. 3 doubles and secured the first point of the match with ensuing wins at No. 2 and No. 1 doubles.
In singles play, Stetson extended its lead with wins at fourth and sixth singles, and clinched the match when Njal Stene downed freshman Edgars Rauza at No. 3 singles. The Mountain Hawks failed to win a set against the Hatters, who wrapped-up the shutout with wins at first, second and fifth singles.
Lehigh returns to the courts on Friday, March 13 when the Mountain Hawks return home to face Stony Brook. Action gets underway at 2 p.m. from the Lewis Tennis Center.
Stetson 7, Lehigh 0
1. Stene/Swanteson (SU) def. List/Laffey (LU) 8-5
2. Kricka/Levanovich (SU) def. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) 8-4
3. Gallo/Mestan (SU) def. Collins/Krueger (LU) 8-0
1. Filip Kricka (SU) def. Troy List (LU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Mark Mestan (SU) def. Collin Laffey (LU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Njal Stene (SU) def. Edgars Rauza (LU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Maksim Levanovich (SU) def. Chris Collins (LU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Cesare Gallo (SU) def. Cameron Silbert (LU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Gokay Celik (SU) def. Ryan Krueger (LU) 6-1, 6-4