Posted: March 3, 2009
MELBOURNE, Fla. – Lehigh snapped its three match losing streak with a convincing 6-1 win over Division II Lewis University Tuesday at the DeSoto Tennis Courts. The Mountain Hawks swept three doubles matches and took five of six singles contests as they complete their spring break trip to Florida on a high note. Lehigh is now 3-5 on the spring season.
Following a rough day Monday against Florida Tech, Lehigh’s doubles teams responded with wins at all three flights to earn the first point of the match.
In singles play, Lehigh extended its lead on with strong performances from senior Allie Schwartz, who downed Melanie Sandberg 6-2, 6-2 at No. 1 singles and junior Julie Arthofer, who upended Bayley Brown 6-1, 6-2 at No. 3 singles. The Mountain Hawks clinched the match when Ariela Cohen won a third-set ten-point tiebreak over Agata Wojciechowska at second singles. Lehigh added wins from junior Stacey Reich and senior Ruthie Furman in eight-game pro-sets at fifth and sixth singles to cement the win.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Friday, March 13 when they return home to face Stony Brook. The match is scheduled for a 5 p.m. start from Lehigh’s Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 6, Lewis 1
1. Schwartz/Cohen (Lehigh) def. Sandberg/Wojciechowska (Lewis) 8-4
2. Arthofer/Piscitelli (Lehigh) def. Brown/Hargrove (Lewis) 8-4
3. Reich/Furman (Lehigh) def. Kessler/Novack (Lewis) 8-3
1. Allie Schwartz (Lehigh) def. Melanie Sandberg (Lewis) 6-2, 6-2
2. Ariela Cohen (Lehigh) def. Agata Wojciechowska (Lewis) 6-2, 0-6, 10-6
3. Julie Arthofer (Lehigh) def. Bayley Brown (Lewis) 6-1, 6-2
4. Katie Hargrove (Lewis) def. Liz Piscitelli (Lehigh) 7-5, 7-5
5. Stacey Reich (Lehigh) def. Clare Kessler (Lewis) 8-3
6. Ruthie Furman (Lehigh) def. Maggie Novack (Lewis) 8-4