Posted: March 3, 2009
MELBOURNE, Fla. – Facing its second Division II opponent in as many days, Lehigh cruised to a 6-1 victory over Lewis University Tuesday afternoon on the DeSoto tennis courts. The Mountain Hawks battled high winds and chilly temperatures in their matchup with the Flyers, but managed to sweep the doubles matches and win five of six singles flights to improve to 4-8 on the season.
One day after having his six match win streak come to an end, sophomore Troy List bounced back with a straight set win over Uno Lapimaa at No. 1 singles. List also teamed with Collin Laffey to beat Lapimaa and Tonis Irdoja 8-6 at first doubles. The win for List and Laffey was the first of three straight for the Mountain Hawks to put Lehigh ahead 1-0 after doubles play.
In singles action, List’s win was followed by victories from the bottom four flights, as freshmen Edgars Rauza and Ryan Krueger continued their strong play at third and sixth singles respectively, while sophomores Chris Collins and Cameron Silbert returned to form with wins at the No. 4 and No. 5 flights.
The Mountain Hawks will wrap-up their spring break trip to Florida with a match at Stetson on Wednesday. First serves are set for 2 p.m. from DeLand, Fla.
Lehigh 6, Lewis 1
1. List/Laffey (Lehigh) def. Lapimaa/Irdoja (Lewis) 8-6
2. Pacheco/Silbert (Lehigh) def. Karas/Mauer (Lewis) 8-6
3. Collins/Krueger (Lehigh) def. Somogyi/Mega (Lewis) 8-4
1. Troy List (Lehigh) def. Uno Lapimaa (Lewis) 6-2, 6-3
2. Tonis Irdoja (Lewis) def. Collin Laffey (Lehigh) 6-4, 6-4
3. Edgars Rauza (Lehigh) def. Balazs Somogyi (Lewis) 6-0, 6-0
4. Chris Collins (Lehigh) def. Ben Karas (Lewis) 6-2, 6-1
5. Cameron Silbert (Lehigh) def. Scott Mauer (Lewis) score unavailable
6. Ryan Krueger (Lehigh) def. Bret Mega (Lewis) 6-1, 6-2