Posted: March 2, 2009
MELBOURNE, Fla. – Junior Stacey Reich and senior Ruthie Furman delivered straight-set wins at the bottom two singles flights, but it was not enough to prevent the Mountain Hawks from falling 7-2 to Division II Florida Tech Monday in the first of two spring break matches in Florida for Lehigh. Florida Tech swept the doubles matches and won the top four singles flights to improve its record to 4-3, while sending the Mountain Hawks to 2-5 on the spring season.
Reich downed Nicole David 6-3, 6-3 at No. 5 singles for the first Lehigh point, while Furman cruised to a 6-0, 6-4 win over Sarah Collins at No. 6. The duo was less fortunate in doubles action, where they fell 8-5 to David and Alexis Weinning at the third flight.
Florida Tech also picked up doubles wins from Natalia Ramos and Abigail Grief, who knocked off seniors Ariela Cohen and Allie Schwartz 8-5 at first doubles and Andrea Madrigal and Monica Price, who were victorious at second doubles over junior Julie Arthofer and freshman Liz Piscitelli 8-2.
In singles play, the Panthers cruised to wins at the first four flights, before Reich and Furman rallied for their wins at the bottom two flights.
Lehigh continues its spring trip to Florida on Tuesday when the Mountain Hawks face Lewis University at 2 p.m.
Florida Tech 7, Lehigh 2
1. Grief/Ramos (FT) def. Cohen/Schwartz (LU) 8-5
2. Madrigal/Price (FT) def. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) 8-2
3. David/Weinning (FT) def. Furman/Reich (LU) 8-5
1. Natalia Ramos (FT) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Abigail Grief (FT) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Andrea Madrigal (FT) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Monica Price (FT) def. Elizabeth Piscitelli (LU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Stacey Reich (LU) def. Nicole David (FT) 6-3, 6-3
6. Ruthie Furman (LU) def. Sarah Collins (FT) 6-0, 6-4