Posted: February 25, 2009
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – In its final match of a season-opening six match home stand, the Mountain Hawks were shut out by Temple 7-0, Wednesday afternoon inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The visiting Owls were dominant throughout as Temple cruised to wins in all three doubles matches before sweeping all six singles contests. Lehigh falls to 2-4 with the loss, while Temple improves to 4-3.
In doubles action Temple’s three duos made quick work of Lehigh’s teams as the Owls dropped a total of just four games in the three flights.
Temple was equally dominant in singles play, winning the first four flights in straight sets, before capturing eight-game pro sets at fifth and sixth singles. Senior Allie Schwartz had the top challenge for the Brown and White, pushing Lucie Pazderova to a first set tiebreak at No. 2 singles, before falling 7-6, 6-1.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Monday when they open their Florida trip with a 10 a.m. match against Florida Tech in Melbourne.
Temple 7, Lehigh 0
1. Clermont/Rukavyshnykova (TU) def. Schwartz/Cohen (LU) 8-2
2. Bergman/Frazier (TU) def. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) 8-2
3. Pazderova/Stangl (TU) def. Furman/Reich (LU) 8-0
1. Theresa Stangl (TU) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-4, 6-0
2. Lucie Pazderova (TU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 7-6, 6-1
3. Anastasiia Rukavyshnykova (TU) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Christine Clermont (TU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Josephine Bergman (TU) def. Stacey Reich (LU) 8-2
6. Felicia Frazier (TU) def. Ruthie Furman (LU) 8-4