Posted: February 22, 2009
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh dug itself an early home and was never able to recover as the Mountain Hawks fell 4-3 to Drexel Sunday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks made things close with wins in three of the bottom four singles flights, but dropped the doubles point and first, second and fourth singles as they fall to 2-3 on the season.
Drexel wasted little time putting the opening points on the board as the Dragons dropped just one game combined in wins at first and third doubles. Lehigh did muster a doubles win at No. 2 doubles as junior Julie Arthofer and freshman Liz Piscitelli beat Emily and Mellissa Lewis 8-5.
In singles play, Drexel increased its lead with straight set wins at the top two singles flights, plus a win at No. 4 singles. Arthofer picked up a point for Lehigh with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Anahita Jagtiani at No. 3 singles, while junior Stacey Reich and senior Ruthie Furman accounted for the Mountain Hawks’ other two points with wins at the bottom two flights.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Wednesday when they wrap-up their home stand against Temple. First serves are set for 4 p.m. from the Lewis Tennis Center.
Drexel 4, Lehigh 3
1. Hilali/Unkaya (DU) def. Schwartz/Cohen (LU) 8-0
2. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) def. Lewis/Lewis (DU) 8-5
3. Leizerovich/Jagtiani (DU) def. Furman/Reich (LU) 8-1
1. Zineb Hilali (DU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Gozde Unkaya (DU) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Anahita Jagtiani (DU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Sonia Stosic (DU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-2, 7-5
5. Stacey Reich (LU) def. Emily Lewis (DU) 6-3, 5-7, 10-4
6. Ruthie Furman (LU) def. Mellissa Lewis (DU) 6-2, 6-2