Posted: February 21, 2009
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – After picking up its first win of the season last weekend, Lehigh ran its winning streak to three with a pair of victories Saturday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. Freshman Ryan Krueger downed Ian Terpilowski 6-4, 6-2 at No. 6 singles to lead the Mountain Hawks to a 4-3 win over Monmouth in the morning, while in the afternoon Lehigh rolled to a 7-0 triumph over St. Francis (N.Y.). With the wins, Lehigh moves to 3-6 on the spring season.
Krueger’s win broke a 3-3 tie after the Mountain Hawks seemingly had the win locked up. Lehigh picked up wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to earn the doubles point, as the Mountain Hawk tandems of Troy List and Collin Laffey and Krueger and Chris Collins continued their strong play. In singles play, List and freshman Edgars Rauza picked up quick straight-set wins, to put Lehigh up 3-0, before the Hawks battled back with wins at second, fourth and fifth singles. Krueger, however cemented Lehigh’s second straight win with his win over Terpilowski.
In Saturday’s second match, Lehigh was in control throughout, winning all three doubles matches and all six singles contests. After capturing the doubles point, Collins and Krueger put Lehigh up 3-0 with convincing straight set wins. Laffey and List followed up with the next two points to put the match away. Rauza was pushed to a third set tiebreak at No. 3 singles, but prevailed 10-6 against Danlahdi Robinson. At No. 6 singles, senior captain Mike Gordon made his season debut, with an 8-1 win over Vihren Todorov.
The Mountain Hawks will cap a busy weekend of action on Sunday when they welcome Drexel to the Lewis Tennis Center for a 1 p.m. match.
Lehigh 4, Monmouth 3
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Evenden/Terpilowski (MU) 9-7
2. Forrest/Heads (MU) def. Silbert/Pacheco (LU) 8-3
3. Collins/Krueger (LU) def. Gupta/Sherwood (MU) 8-4
1. Troy List (LU) def. Ben Evenden (MU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Corey Forrest (MU) def. Collin Laffey (LU) 7-6, 6-4
3. Edgars Rauza (LU) def. Vik Gupta (MU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Laurence Heads (MU) def. Chris Collins (LU) 7-6, 6-4
5. David Sherwood (MU) def. Cameron Silbert (LU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
6. Ryan Krueger (LU) def. Ian Terpilowski (MU) 6-4, 6-2
Lehigh 7, St. Francis 0
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Chaloupka/Gonzalez (SFC) 8-6
2. Silbert/Pacheco (LU) def. Robinson/Mesa (SFC) 8-2
3. Collins/Krueger (LU) def. Todorov/Tsang (SFC) 8-2
1. Troy List (LU) def. Jindrich Chaloupka (SFC) 6-4, 6-3
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. Esteban Mesa (SFC) 6-4, 6-0
3. Edgars Rauza (LU) def. Danlahdi Robinson (SFC) 6-4, 4-6, 10-6
4. Chris Collins (LU) def. James Brennan Tsang (SFC) 6-0, 6-2
5. Ryan Krueger (LU) def. Daniel Gonzalez (SFC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Mike Gordon (LU) def. Vihren Todorov (SFC) 8-1