Posted: February 14, 2009
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – In its first action in nine days, Lehigh evened its season record at 2-2 with a 5-2 win over Towson Saturday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The bottom of the Mountain Hawks lineup came through in the clutch as Lehigh won the doubles point and then picked up wins in the bottom four singles flights to wrap-up the victory.
Lehigh claimed the first point in the match with wins at second and third doubles. After seniors Allie Schwartz and Ariela Cohen were upended at first doubles, the team of junior Julie Arthofer and freshman Liz Piscitelli combined to beat Andrea Carr and Ashley Peretz 8-6 at second doubles and junior Stacey Reich and senior Ruthie Furman teamed for an 8-4 win over Evelyn Izaguirre and Katie Young at third doubles.
In singles play, Towson raced in front with wins at the top two flights, but Lehigh battled back. Arthofer dropped the first set against Carr at No. 3 singles but won the next two tightly contested sets to pull out the victory. Furman also dropped the first set in her match, but rallied to beat Peretz at sixth singles. At No. 5 singles, Reich was dominant in a 6-0, 6-2 win over Cassandra Ng. The final match was at No. 4 singles, where Piscitelli split the first two sets with Izaguirre, before winning the third-set ten-point tiebreak 10-8.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Sunday, February 22 when they welcome the Drexel Dragons to the Lewis Tennis Center. First serves are set for 10 a.m.
Lehigh 5, Towson 2
1. White/Cloonan (TU) def. Schwartz/Cohen (LU) 8-3
2. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) def. Carr/Peretz (TU) 8-6
3, Reich/Furman (LU) def. Izaguirre/Young (TU) 8-4
1. Caitlin White (TU) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Lauren Cloonan (TU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Andrea Carr (TU) 1-6, 7-5, 7-6
4. Liz Piscitelli (LU) def. Evelyn Izaguirre (TU) 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
5. Stacey Reich (LU) def. Cassandra Ng (TU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Ruthie Furman (LU) def. Ashley Peretz (TU) 1-6, 6-2, 7-6