Posted: February 14, 2009
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Sophomore Troy List was a winner at first doubles and singles, but it was not enough as Lehigh fell to Richmond by a 6-1 score Saturday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The visiting Spiders won the second and third doubles flights to capture the first point and added five singles wins en route to their first win of the season, while the Mountain Hawks drop to 0-5 on the season.
In doubles action List teamed with sophomore Collin Laffey to defeat Sami Belakhlef and Sam Hyland 8-6. Richmond however captured the first point of the match, with wins at second and third doubles.
In singles play, List handled Belakhlef at No. 1 singles, winning 7-5, 6-3, but it would be the Mountain Hawks’ lone point of the match as Richmond players picked up straight set wins at the next five singles flights to wrap up the victory. The Spiders improved to 1-6 on the season with the triumph.
The Mountain Hawks will be back on the court on Sunday when they host a tri-match with UConn and Mount St. Mary’s. Lehigh will face the Huskies at 9 a.m. and the Mountaineers at 4 p.m. at the Lewis Tennis Center.
Richmond 6, Lehigh 1
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Belakhlef/Hyland (RICH) 8-6
2. Arana/Nelson (RICH) def. Silbert/Pacheco (LU) 8-5
3. Minter/Feeley (RICH) def. Collins/Krueger (LU) 8-6
1. Troy List (LU) def. Sami Belakhlef (RICH) 7-5, 6-3
2. Will Minter (RICH) def. Collin Laffey (LU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Rafa Arana (RICH) def. Leland Richardson (LU) 7-6, 6-2
4. Matt Feeley (RICH) def. Edgars Rauza (LU) 6-4, 6-2
5. A.J. Nelson (RICH) def. Chris Collins (LU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Sam Hyland (RICH) def. Arnaldo Pacheco (LU) 6-2, 6-1