Posted: February 8, 2009
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Lehigh fell to 0-4 on the young season with a 7-0 loss to No. 44 Penn State Sunday afternoon inside the Sarni Tennis Center. The Nittany Lions swept through all three doubles matches and all six singles matches as they improved to 4-4 on the season.
Sophomore Troy List delivered the most impressive performance by a Lehigh player, taking Penn State’s Brendan Lynch to three sets at No. 1 singles. List dropped the first set 6-1 but rallied to win the second set 6-4, and pushed Lynch to the limit in the third set before falling 7-5.
In doubles play, the Nittany Lions cruised to three wins, dropping three games or less in all three flights. Penn State continued its dominance in singles action, winning the matches from third through sixth singles in straight sets.
The Mountain Hawks will try again for that elusive first win when they return home on Saturday to face the Richmond Spiders. First serve from the Lewis Tennis Center is set for 10 a.m.
Penn State 7, Lehigh 0
1. Bourchier/Gormley (PSU) def. List/Laffey (LU) 8-3
2. Lynch/St. Maurice (PSU) def. Silbert/Pacheco (LU) 8-2
3. Hasyn/Kendall (PSU) def. Krueger/Collins (LU) 8-1
1. Brendan Lynch (PSU) def. Troy List (LU) 6-1, 4-6, 7-5
2. Adam Slagter (PSU) def. Collin Laffey (LU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Eddie Bourchier (PSU) def. Leland Richardson (LU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Jason Lee (PSU) def. Edgars Rauza (LU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Benji Kendall (PSU) def. Chris Collins (LU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Chris Hasyn (PSU) def. Cameron Silbert (LU) 6-4, 6-2