Posted: January 31, 2009
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Senior Ruthie Furman picked up a win at No. 5 singles, but Lehigh dropped its season opener, as the Mountain Hawks fell to Radford 6-1 Saturday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The visiting Highlanders swept the doubles matches and captured five of the six singles flights in the spring opener for both squads.
Furman captured Lehigh’s only point by beating Antonietta Iosue 10-3 in a third-set ten-point tiebreaker after winning the first set 6-1 but dropping the second 6-7. Lehigh head coach Dave Shook was forced to juggle his lineup, as the Mountain Hawks were without senior captain Allie Schwartz. The only other Mountain Hawk to capture a set on the day was sophomore Kiera Murasko-Blank, who won the opening set in her match with Ally Spector at No. 6 singles 7-6, before dropping the second set 6-1 and the third set tiebreak 10-8.
The Mountain Hawks will be back on the court on Sunday, when they welcome Fairleigh Dickinson to the Lewis Tennis Center for a 1 p.m. match.
Radford 6, Lehigh 1
1. Drobnjak/Spector (RU) def. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) 8-5
2. Tomaic/Matic (RU) def. Furman/Reich (LU) 8-5
3. Dajevic/Iosue (RU) def. Cohen/Vityuk (LU) 8-6
1. Petra Dajevic (RU) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Ivana Tomaic (RU) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Mia Drobnjak (RU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Mirna Matic (RU) def. Stacey Reich (LU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Ruthie Furman (LU) def. Antonietta Iosue (RU) 6-1, 6-7, 10-3
6. Ally Spector (RU) def. Kiera Murasko-Blank (LU) 6-7, 6-1, 10-8