Posted: January 25, 2009
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Lehigh opened its spring season on Sunday with a pair of setbacks against foes from Rhode Island at Brown’s Pizzitola Center. The Mountain Hawks opened the day and season with a tightly contested 3-2 loss to Bryant before falling to Brown by a 5-0 score in the afternoon. Both matches were contested in an abbreviated best-of-five points format.
Freshman Edgars Rauza and sophomore Chris Collins picked up singles wins against Bryant for Lehigh only points of the day. Rauza dropped the first set in his match with Nicholai Hill at No. 3 singles, but rallied to win 6-7, 7-5,10-8. Collins also dropped the first set in his match with Dan Cournoyer at No. 4 singles, but battled back to win 4-6, 6-4, 10-6.
The teams opened by playing the four singles matches, with each team nabbing two. Three of the four singles contests came down to third-set 10-point tiebreakers. The match with Bryant came down to doubles, but it was the Bulldogs’ Thomas Nowak and Cournoyer edging sophomores Arnaldo Pacheco and Cameron Silbert 8-6. Bryant moves to 2-3 on the year with the victory.
In the nightcap, the host Bears proved too strong for the visiting Mountain Hawks, winning all four singles matches in straight sets and taking the doubles point as well.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action next Sunday when they open up their home schedule against Fairleigh Dickinson. The match will get underway at 10 a.m. from the Lewis Tennis Center.
Bryant 3 Lehigh 2
1. Cristian Balestrieri (BU) def. Troy List (LU) 3-6, 6-2, 10-7
2. Jose Rodriguez (BU) def. Collin Laffey (LU) 7-6, 6-4
3. Edgars Rauza (LU) def. Nicholai Hill (BU) 6-7, 7-5, 10-8
4. Chris Collins (LU) def. Dan Cournoyer (BU) 4-6, 6-4, 10-6
1. Thomas Nowak/Dan Cournoyer (BU) def. Arnaldo Pacheco/Cameron Silbert (LU) 8-6
Brown 5 Lehigh 0
1. Jonathan Pearlman (BU) def. Troy List (LU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Noah Gardner (BU) def. Collin Laffey (LU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Kendrick Au (BU) def. Edgars Rauza (LU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Andrew Yazmer (BU) def. Chris Collins (LU) 7-6, 6-0
1. Nathaniel Gorham/Charlie Posner (BU) def. Arnaldo Pacheco/Cameron Silbert (LU) 8-6