Posted: April 25, 2008
HAMILTON, N.Y. – Lehigh’s season came to an end on Friday in the Patriot League semifinals as the No. 6 seed Mountain Hawks fell to No. 3 Bucknell 5-1 on Colgate’s Abrahamson Courts. Freshman Troy List earned Lehigh’s lone point with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Ryan Sandburg at No. 2 singles, but the Bison swept the doubles matches and won four singles matches in straight sets to move into Saturday’s semifinals. The Mountain Hawks season comes to an end at 6-14.
Bucknell opened up by sweeping the three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. List accounted for Lehigh’s point as he avenged a loss to Sandburg in the regular season match by dropping just two games in a 6-2, 6-0 win.
In singles play, the Bison picked up a win at No. 1 singles when Ira Reibeisen beat senior John Nespoli 6-1, 6-0. Bucknell followed with wins at third, fifth and sixth singles, all in straight sets to clinch the match. The match at fourth singles between Jonathan Brenner and Mike Gordon was not finished.
The Mountain Hawks lose just two seniors, Nespoli and Brent Herbert to graduation and return a wealth of young talent in 2008-09.
Bucknell 5 Lehigh 1
1. Reibeisen/Sandburg (BU) def. Nespoli/List (LU) 8-3
2. Brenner/Hascoe (BU) def. Bolcar/Bolcar (LU) 8-6
3. Malloy/Young (BU) def. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) 8-6
1. Ira Reibeisen (BU) def. John Nespoli (LU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Troy List (LU) def. Ryan Sandburg (BU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Zach Hascoe (BU) def. John Bolcar (LU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Jonathan Brenner (BU) vs. Mike Gordon 6-4, 5-3 DNF
5. Mark Malloy (BU) def. Chris Collins (LU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Daniel Bednarek (BU) def. Jon-Michael Caminiti 6-4, 6-0