Posted: April 19, 2008
WEST POINT, N.Y. – Lehigh’s 2008 season came to an end of Saturday as the Mountain Hawks fell to top seed Army 4-0 in the Patriot League semifinals at the Malek Tennis Center. The No. 4 seed Mountain Hawks battled hard against the three-time defending league champs, but the Black Knights picked up two doubles wins and four singles wins to move into Sunday’s championship match. Lehigh’s season wraps up at 11-10.
The Black Knigths opened with two doubles wins to capture the first point of the match. Annie Houghton and Niki Flach won 8-1 over Lehigh juniors Allie Schwartz and Ruthie Furman at No. 1 doubles, while Kristin Beehler and Sarah Giles-Madden teamed to knock off junior Ariela Cohen and sophomore Stacey Reich at No. 2 doubles.
In singles play, Army extended its lead as Beehler blanked Furman 6-0, 6-0 at No. 4 singles, and Caitlin Finnegan won over junior Victoria Vityuk by the same 6-0, 6-0 score. Houghton provided the clincher knocking off Schwartz 6-1, 6-3 at No. 1 singles. The rest of the matches were not completed as Army had the needed four points to clinch the match.
Army will now face the winner of Saturday’s second semifinal between Bucknell and Colgate in Sunday’s championship match at 1 p.m.
Army 4 Lehigh 0
1. Houghton/Flach (Army) def. Schwartz/Furman (LU) 8-1
2. Beehler/Giles-Madden (Army) def. Cohen/Reich (LU) 8-2
3. Burke/Limsiaco vs. Arthofer/Vityuk 7-4, DNF
1. Annie Houghton (Army) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Niki Flach (Army) vs. Ariela Cohen (LU) 7-6, 2-0, DNF
3. Sarah Giles-Madden (Army) vs. Julie Arthofer (LU) 6-3, 2-3, DNF
4. Kristin Beehler (Army) def. Ruthie Furman (LU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Caitlin Finnegan (Army) def. Victoria Vityuk (LU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Diana Alquero (Army) vs. Stacey Reich (LU) 6-0, 3-3, DNF