Posted: April 17, 2008
EASTON, Pa. – Lehigh fell to arch rival Lafayette by a 5-2 score Thursday on the Sullivan Tennis Courts in the regular season finale for both teams. The Mountain Hawks dropped the doubles point, and could only muster singles wins in two of six flights as Lehigh’s regular season finishes at 6-13 overall, 1-4 in Patriot League matches. The loss was the Mountain Hawks first against their arch rivals since 2004.
The doubles point was tightly contested, and came down to a tight match at No. 2 doubles. Senior John Nespoli and freshman Troy List won 8-1 at No. 1 doubles, but Lafayette’s Eric Wiley and James Murphy picked up a win over senior Brent Herbert and sophomore J.T. Bolcar by the same score. In the deciding match at No. 2 doubles, Lee Kojanis and Brett Kraft edged the freshman duo of Cameron Silbert and Arnaldo Pacheco 9-7.
In singles action, Lehigh received straight set wins from List at No. 2 singles, and junior Mike Gordon who downed Kojanis 6-2, 6-3 in his return to the lineup at No. 4 singles. The Leopards clinched the match with straight set wins at No. 3 singles, where Kraft downed Pacheco 6-3, 6-1 as well as the bottom two flights. The No. 1 singles match went to a third set ten point tiebreak, where Wiley edged Nespoli 12-10.
Lafayette improves to 6-6 in spring action, and 2-4 in league matches.
The Mountain Hawks will likely be the No. 6 seed in next week’s Patriot League tournament, which begins next Friday in Hamilton, N.Y.
Lafayette 5 Lehigh 2
1. Nespoli/List (LU) def. McGranaghan/Haar (LC) 8-1
2. Kojanis/Kraft (LC) def. Silbert/Pacheco (LU) 9-7
3. Wiley/Murphy (LC) def. J.T. Bolcar/Herbert (LU) 8-1
1. Eric Wiley (LC) def. John Nespoli (LU) 4-6, 6-2, 12-10
2. Troy List (LU) def. Matt McGranaghan (LC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Brett Kraft (LC) def. Arnaldo Pacheco (LU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Mike Gordon (LU) def. Lee Kojanis (LC) 6-2, 6-3
5. Justin Haar (LC) def. Chris Collins (LU) 7-5, 6-3
6. James Murphy (LC) def. Rob Bolcar (LU) 6-4, 6-1