Posted: April 16, 2008
BETHLHEM, Pa. – In its final tune-up before this weekend’s Patriot League tournament Lehigh was dominant in a 7-0 win over Robert Morris Wednesday on the Ulrich Varsity Courts. The Mountain Hawks had little trouble against the undermanned Colonials, sweeping all doubles and singles matches to improve to 10-9 on the year. Robert Morris had to default No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles and falls to 1-10.
In doubles play, Lehigh received an 8-3 win from its No. 1 team of juniors Allie Schwartz and Ruthie Furman and an 8-0 win from the tandem of junior Ariela Cohen and freshman Kiera Murasko-Blank at No. 2 doubles.
Lehigh had little trouble in singles, including 6-0, 6-0 wins from Furman and junior Victoria Vityuk respectively. Schwartz and Cohen were also winners, as was sophomore Julie Arthofer who dropped just one game to Sara Meier.
Next up for the Mountain Hawks is the 2008 Patriot League tournament, which begins Friday at Army’s Malek Tennis Center at West Point, N.Y. Lehigh is the No. 4 seed and will meet No. 5 Holy Cross in the opening round at 11 a.m. The winner will meet top seed Army in Saturday’s semifinals.
Lehigh 7 Robert Morris 0
1. Schwartz/Furman (LU) def. Delorie/Shaw (RMU) 8-3
2. Cohen/Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Meier/Hummel (RMU) 8-0
3. Vityuk/Arthofer (LU) won by default
1. Allie Schwartz (LU) def. Kali Delorie (RMU), score n/a
2. Ariela Cohen (LU) def. Libby Shaw (RMU), score n/a
3. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Sara Meier (RMU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Ruthie Furman (LU) def. Hummel (RMU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Victoria Vityuk (LU) def. Lawless (RMU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Stacey Reich (LU) won by default