Posted: April 13, 2008
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Freshman Cameron Silbert was a winner at No. 6 singles, but it was the only point Lehigh was able to muster against one of the top teams in Division III, as the Mountain Hawks fell to Bates 6-1 Sunday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. Silbert needed three sets to defeat Danilo Acosta 7-6, 3-6, 6-3 and secure Lehigh’s lone point, but the visiting Bobcats swept the doubles matches and won five singles matches as well.
Doubles action was relatively close at No. 1 and No. 3 flights. Senior John Nespoli and freshman Troy List battled Ben Stein and Amrit Rupasinghe, losing 9-7 at first doubles, while sophomore brothers J.T. and Robbie Bolcar lost 8-6 to Max Berger and Ryan Mannelly at third doubles.
Bates picked up four wins in straight sets in singles play, plus a 9-7 pro-set win by Stein over Nespoli at No. 1 singles to hand Lehigh its fourth straight loss overall.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the courts on Wednesday when they host Robert Morris in a match that’s scheduled to begin at 2:30 p.m. from Lehigh’s Ulrich Varsity Courts.
Bates 6 Lehigh 1
1. Stein/Rupasinghe (Bates) def. Nespoli/List (LU) 9-7
2. Fenno/Acosta (Bates) def. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) 8-4
3. Berger/Mannelly (Bates) def. Bolcar/Bolcar (LU) 8-6
1. Ben Stein (Bates) def. John Nespoli (LU) 9-7
2. Amrit Rupasinghe (Bates) def. Troy List (LU) 7-6, 6-3
3. Mike Reiss (Bates) def. J.T. Bolcar (LU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Max Berger (Bates) def. Arnaldo Pacheco (LU) 7-6, 6-2
5. Zack Fenno (Bates) def. Chris Collins (LU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Cameron Silbert (LU) def. Danilo Acosta (Bates) 7-6, 3-6, 6-3