Posted: April 13, 2008
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh evened its season record at 9-9 with a 4-3 victory over Division III Bates College Sunday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. Playing without junior captain Allie Schwartz, head coach Dave Shook juggled his line-up and the Mountain Hawks responded by winning two doubles matches and earning a split of six singles contests.
After dropping the match at No. 1 doubles, Lehigh picked up wins at No. 2 and No. 3 to take an early 1-0 lead. Junior Ruthie Furman and sophomore Julie Arthofer defeated Caryn Benisch and Mallika Raghavan 8-5 at second doubles, while junior Victoria Vityuk and freshman Kiera Murasko-Blank clinched the doubles point with a hard fought 9-7 win over Liz Fleming and Jean Gulliver at third doubles.
In singles play each team won three matches, two in straight sets and one in three sets. Straight set wins from Arthofer over Alex Piacquad at No. 2 singles and sophomore Stacey Reich over Fleming at No. 5 singles put Lehigh at three points, before Vityuk rallied from a set-down to defeat Raghavan 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 at No. 4 singles for the clinching point.
The Mountain Hawks will host Robert Morris in a non-league match on Wednesday, which will serve as a final tune-up for next weekend’s Patriot League tournament. The Robert Morris match is slated to begin at 2:30 p.m. from Lehigh’s Ulrich Varsity Courts.
Lehigh 4 Bates 3
1. Grissa/Piacquad (Bates) def. Reich/Cohen (LU) 8-4
2. Furman/Arthofer (LU) def. Benisch/Raghavan (Bates) 8-5
3. Vityuk/Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Fleming/Gulliver (Bates) 9-7
1. Cecilia Grissa (Bates) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 7-5, 6-4
2. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Alex Piacquad (Bates) 6-4, 6-4
3. Caryn Benisch (Bates) def. Ruthie Furman (LU) 6-2, 7-5
4. Victoria Vityuk (LU) def. Mallika Raghavan (Bates) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Stacey Reich (LU) def. Liz Fleming (Bates) 7-5, 6-0
6. Jean Gulliver (Bates) def. Kiera Burasko-Blank (LU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-7