Posted: April 12, 2008
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Defending Patriot League champion Navy won all three singles matches and all six doubles matches in a convincing 7-0 win over Lehigh Saturday at the Tose Family Tennis Center. With the victory, the Mids improve to 16-8 overall and remain unbeaten in league play at 4-0. The Mountain Hawks suffered their third straight league setback and fall to 5-11, 1-4 in league matches.
Navy swept the doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead, with the closest match coming at No. 1 doubles where senior John Nespoli and freshman Troy List fell 8-5 to Navy’s Nate Nelms and Johnny Waters.
Singles play brought much of the same from the favored Mids, as Navy won all six matches in straight sets. List was the only Mountain Hawks to capture at least five games, as he fell 6-3, 6-2 to Waters at No. 2 singles.
The Mountain Hawks have one more league match remaining Thursday at Lafayette. Lehigh will return to action on Sunday when the Mountain Hawks return home to face Division III power Bates at 1 p.m.
Navy 7 Lehigh 0
1. Nelms/Waters (Navy) def. Nespoli/List (LU) 8-5
2. James/Lemaich (Navy) def. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) 8-2
3. Birger/Hill (Navy) def. Bolcar/Bolcar (LU) 8-2
1. Nate Nelms (Navy) def. John Nespoli (LU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Johnny Waters (Navy) def. Troy List (LU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Jason Hill (Navy) def. John Bolcar (LU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ramsey Lemaich (Navy) def. Arnaldo Pacheco (LU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Alex James (Navy) def. Mike Gordon (LU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Owen Bullard (Navy) def. Chris Collins (LU) 6-0, 6-3