Posted: April 8, 2008
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh swept the doubles matches and captured five singles matches to defeat arch rival Lafayette 6-1 Tuesday afternoon on the Ulrich Varsity Courts. The victory was the Mountain Hawks eighth straight over the Leopards as Lehigh wins its Patriot League regular season finale and improves to 2-3 in the league and 8-9 overall.
“Beating Lafayette is always very sweet,” said Lehigh head coach Dave Shook. “We’ve worked hard and we knew going in we’d be able to get the job done. Now we can focus on getting our lineup set as we get ready for the Patriot League tournament.”
Shook shuffled his No. 2 and No. 3 doubles teams, a move that paid off as Lehigh swept all three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. Juniors Allie Schwartz and Ruthie Furman remained together and won 8-6 over Sarah Sykes and Ansley Scudder at No. 1 doubles. Shook paired sophomore Stacey Reich and junior Ariela Cohen at No 2 doubles, and they responded with an 8-4 win over Jacqui Bonder and Rachel Rohinsky. At No. 3 doubles, sophomore Julie Arthofer and freshman Kiera Murasko-Blank won over Kristine Cavanagh and Emily DeLuca.
In singles play, Lehigh won five of the six matches overall including four in straight sets. Lafayette’s only point came at No. 2 singles, where Scudder defeated Cohen in straight sets. Schwartz beat Sykes 6-2, 6-3 at first singles for Lehigh, while Arthofer, Reich and junior Victoria Vityuk combined to drop just one game in wins at third, sixth and fifth singles respectively. In the only match to go into a third set ten point tiebreak Furman held off Rohinsky winning 11-9 in the tiebreak.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Sunday when they host Bates at 10 a.m.
Lehigh 6 Lafayette 1
1. Schwartz/Furman (LU) def. Sykes/Scudder (LC) 8-6
2. Reich/Cohen (LU) def. Bonder/Rohinsky (LC) 8-4
3. Arthofer/Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Cavanagh/DeLuca (LC) 8-5
1. Allie Schwartz (LU) def. Sarah Sykes (LC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Ansley Scudder (LC) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Jacqui Bonder (LC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Ruthie Furman (LU) def. Rachel Rohinsky (LC) 6-3, 3-6, 11-9
5. Victoria Vityuk (LU) def. Kristine Cavanagh (LC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Stacey Reich (LU) def. Emily DeLuca (LC) 6-0, 6-0