Posted: April 7, 2008
LEWISBURG, Pa. – Lehigh opened up a critical stretch of two Patriot League matches in two days with a tough 5-2 setback to Bucknell Monday on the Bucknell Varsity Tennis Courts. Sophomore Julie Arthofer and junior Victoria Vityuk won singles matches in third set ten point tiebreakers, but the Mountain Hawks were swept in the doubles matches and earned just two singles points as Lehigh falls to 7-9 overall and 1-3 in the Patriot League.
Bucknell (8-6, 2-0 Patriot League) opened the match, which was rescheduled to Monday after inclement weather last Tuesday, by winning all three doubles matches, dropping just seven total games in the process.
In singles play, the Bison collected wins at each of the top two flights, with Tania Varela beating junior Allie Schwartz in straight sets, and Paulina Gamboa knocking off junior Ariela Cohen. Both Arthofer and Vityuk dropped the first set in their matches, but rallied for third set ten point tiebreak wins. Arthofer defeated Lauren Lucido 2-6, 7-5, 10-8 at No. 3 singles, while Vityuk prevailed over Dara Dwojewski 6-7, 6-3, 10-7 at No. 5 singles.
There will be little rest for the Mountain Hawks who will be back on the court on Tuesday as Lehigh will host rival Lafayette. The match is the final Patriot League match of the season for the Brown and White, who will be looking to defeat Lehigh has won seven straight matches over its arch rival from Easton, including a 4-0 shutout last year in the opening round of the Patriot League tournament. The Leopards are 6-6 overall, but 0-2 in the Patriot League with losses to Holy Cross and Army.
Tuesday’s match gets underway at 3 p.m. from Lehigh’s Ulrich Varsity Courts. The match will be televised by Service Electric 2 Sports Tuesday at 7 p.m. Video of the match can also be seen on-demand at Lehighsports.com beginning Tuesday at 7 p.m. Streaming content for Lehigh Athletics is powered by Yahoo! Sports.
Bucknell 5 Lehigh 2
1. Varela/Lucido (BU) def. Schwartz/Furman (LU) 8-1
2. Gamboa/Calcaterra (BU) def. Arthofer/Reich (LU) 8-2
3. Dwojewski/Baffa (BU) def. Vityuk/Cohen (LU) 8-4
1. Tania Varela (BU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Paulina Gamboa (BU) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Lauren Lucido (BU) 2-6, 7-5, 10-8
4. Carlin Calcaterra (BU) def. Ruthie Furman (LU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Victoria Vityuk (LU) def. Dara Dwojewski (BU) 6-7, 6-3, 10-7
6. Lauren Rottkamp (BU) def. Stacey Reich (LU) 6-2, 6-2