Posted: April 6, 2008
WEST POINT, N.Y. – Two days after downing Holy Cross for its first Patriot League win, Army’s Lichtenberg Tennis Center was not as kind to Lehigh, as the Mountain Hawks were shutout by the host Black Knights 7-0 on Sunday. Army swept the doubles matches and took all six singles matches in straight sets to improve to 12-5 overall and 3-0 in the Patriot League, while dropping the Brown and White to 5-9 overall, 1-2 in league matches.
The Black Knights had little trouble in sweeping the doubles matches in taking the first point. At No. 1 doubles Phil Muhawi and Eddie Kang knocked off senior John Nespoli and freshman Troy List 8-6. Muhawi and Kang then proceeded to earn 6-3, 6-3 wins over Nespoli and List respectively at No. 1 and No. 2 singles.
After missing the last three matches with an injury, junior Mike Gordon returned to the lineup, but fell 6-0, 7-6 to Jordan Girdley at No. 5 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Thursday when they host Bucknell in a key Patriot League match that gets underway at 3 p.m. The match will be televised locally by Service Electric 2 Sports and video will be available online at Lehighsports.com.
Army 7 Lehigh 0
1. Muhawi/Kang (A) def. Nespoli/List (LU) 8-6
2. Harris/Albornoz (A) def. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) 8-5
3. Lucivero/Lucero (A) def. Bolcar/Bolcar (LU) 8-1
1. Phil Muhawi (A) def. John Nespili (LU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Eddie Kang (A) def. Troy List (LU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Sean Harris (A) def. J.T. Bolcar (LU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Chris Albornoz (A) def. Arnaldo Pacheco (LU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Jordan Girdley (A) def. Michael Gordon (LU) 6-0, 7-6 (5)
6. Bruno Lucivero (A) def. Chris Collins (LU) 7-5, 6-1