Posted: April 4, 2008
WEST POINT, N.Y. – Lehigh won all three doubles matches and took five singles matches as well en route to its first Patriot League win of the season, as the Mountain Hawks knocked off Holy Cross 6-1 Friday night at Army’s Lichtenberg Tennis Center. The victory evens Lehigh’s league record at 1-1 and moves to Mountain Hawks to 5-8 overall.
The Mountain Hawks had little trouble picking up the doubles point winning all three matches while dropping just five games. For the first time since the early season, the Bolcar twins J.T. and Robbie played together and picked up an 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles.
In singles play, Holy Cross picked up its only point at No. 2 as Angelo Sica knocked off freshman Troy List, but the Mountain Hawks took the remaining five matches to cruise to their first league win. All five of Lehigh’s singles wins came in straight sets, led by senior captain John Nespoli, who dropped just two games in a 6-1, 6-1 win over Matt Wierzle at No. 1 singles.
The Mountain Hawks be back on the courts at West Point on Sunday when they face the Black Knights of Army at 1 p.m.
Lehigh 6 Holy Cross 1
1. Nespoli/List (LU) def. Wierzel/Burke (HC) 8-2
2. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) def. Sica/DeSanto (HC) 8-2
3. Bolcar/Bolcar (LU) def. Phelan/Leggio (HC) 8-1
1. John Nespoli (LU) def. Matt Wierzle (HC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Angelo Sica (HC) def. Troy List (LU) 6-1, 6-7, 14-12
3. J.T. Bolcar (LU) def. John Burke (HC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Arnaldo Pacheco (LU) def. Dan Phelan (HC) 6-1, 6-4
5. Chris Collins (LU) def. Jay DeSanto (HC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Robbie Bolcar (LU) def. Tom Steinert (HC) 6-2, 6-3