Posted: April 4, 2008
WEST POINT, N.Y. – Lehigh picked up its first Patriot League victory of the season with a 6-1 win over Holy Cross Friday night inside Army’s Lichtenberg Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks swept the doubles matches and won five of six singles matches to improve to 1-2 in the Patriot League and 7-8 overall.
Two of the three doubles matches were tightly contested, but at No. 2 doubles senior Alexis Jacobi and junior Ariela Cohen had little trouble with Hailee Lange and Chase Fitzsimmons, winning 8-0.
In singles play, Holy Cross picked up its only point at No. 2 as Meg Moran knocked off Cohen, but the Mountain Hawks took the remaining five matches to cruise to their first league win. Junior Allie Schwartz dropped just two games in her win at No. 1 singles, while sophomores Julie Arthofer and Stacey Reich combined to drop just one game at third and sixth singles respectively.
The Mountain Hawks will kick off a busy week of action on Monday when they travel to Bucknell for a make-up match with the Bison, which gets underway at 3 p.m.
Lehigh 6 Holy Cross 1
1. Schwartz/Furman (LU) def. Meahl/Moran (HC) 9-7
2. Cohen/Jacobi (LU) def. Lange/Fitzsimmons (HC) 8-0
3. Arthofer/Reich (LU) def. Wilkie/Brown (HC) 8-7
1. Allie Schwartz (LU) def. Kristen Meahl (HC) 6-2, 6-0
2. Meg Moran (HC) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Inette Konopka (HC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Ruthie Furman (LU) def. Hailee Lange (HC) 6-0, 7-5
5. Victoria Vityuk (LU) def. Kathryn Wilkie (HC) 7-5, 7-5
6. Stacey Reich (LU) def. Paige Brown (HC) 6-0, 6-0