Posted: March 30, 2008
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Sophomore Julie Arthofer won at No. 4 singles, but it would be the only win for Lehigh as the Mountain Hawks fell to visiting Colgate 6-1 Sunday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Raiders swept the doubles matches and added five singles wins to improve to 8-5 overall and 1-0 in the Patriot League. Lehigh falls to 0-2 in league matches with the setback, and 6-8 overall.
Lehigh faced an early 1-0 deficit as the Raiders won three matches to earn the doubles point, but were unable to get things going in singles play. The Mountain Hawks’ lone point came from Arthofer who won over Cameron Williams by a convincing 6-1, 6-1 score. Colgate earned straight set wins at the top three flights, plus No. 5 singles, while Jackie Stimmel needed a third set ten point tiebreak to knock off Lehigh junior Victoria Vityuk 6-3, 4-6, 11-9.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Tuesday when they travel to Bucknell searching for that elusive first league win. First serve is set for 3 p.m. from Lewisburg, Pa.
Colgate 6 Lehigh 1
1. Derose/Inacker (CU) def. Schwartz/Furman (LU) 8-4
2. Williams/Bender (CU) def. Arthofer/Reich (LU) 8-2
3. Fenn/Riemer (CU) def. Cohen/Jacobi (LU) 8-2
1. Elise Derose (CU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Samantha Inacker (CU) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Isabel Riemer (CU) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Cameron Williams (CU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Erin Fenn (CU) def. Ruthie Furman (LU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Jackie Stimmel (CU) def. Victoria Vityuk (LU) 6-3, 4-6, 11-9