Posted: March 28, 2008
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – In its final tune-up before Patriot League play begins this weekend, Lehigh had its hands full with No. 51 Penn State and the host Nittany Lions flexed their muscles in a 7-0 win over the Mountain Hawks Friday night at the Penn State Indoor Tennis Center. The Nittany Lions swept the three doubles matches and took all six singles matches in straight sets to improve to 8-8 overall, while dropping Lehigh to 4-7 on the season.
The closest doubles match was at the top flight, as the Lehigh tandem of senior John Nespoli and freshman Troy List took five games off Penn State’s top team of Adam Slagter and Chris Sherman.
In singles play, the Nittany Lions reeled off wins at third and fourth singles before clinching the match with a 6-3, 6-2 win by Guillaume St. Maurice over Nespoli at No. 1 singles. List won the most games of any Lehigh player (six), but he and fellow freshman Chris Collins saw their five match winning streaks come to an end.
The Mountain Hawks return home Sunday to open league play against Colgate. The match begins at 1 p.m. from the Lewis Tennis Center.
Penn State 7 Lehigh 0
1. Slagter/Sherman (PSU) def. Nespoli/List (LU) 8-5
2. Bourchier/Toole (PSU) def. R. Bolcar/Herbert (LU) 8-2
3. Gormley/Bortner (PSU) def. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) 8-2
1. Guillaume St. Maurice (PSU) def. John Nespoli (LU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Ryan Gormley (PSU) def. Troy List (LU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Jamie Cox (PSU) def. Rob Bolcar (LU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Chris Sherman (PSU) def. Arnaldo Pacheco (LU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Jake Toole (PSU) def. Jon-Michael Caminiti (LU) 6-1, 6-1
6. David Bortner (PSU) def. Chris Collins (LU) 6-2, 6-2