Posted: March 28, 2008
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – After nearly a two week layoff, Lehigh returned to the courts on Friday with an impressive 7-0 shutout victory over Towson at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks swept through the doubles matches and won all six singles matches to climb to 6-7 overall on the season. The Tigers suffered their ninth straight loss and fall to 4-9.
Lehigh captured the first point by sweeping the doubles matches. Juniors Allie Schwartz and Ruthie Furman were 8-1 winners at No. 1 doubles, while senior Alexis Jacobi and sophomore Stacey Reich (No. 2 doubles), and junior Ariela Cohen and freshman Kiera Murasko-Blank (No. 3) pulled out victories in much closer matches.
In singles play, the Mountain Hawks took five of the six singles matches in straight sets. The only match that Towson won a set came at first singles; where Schwartz needed a third set ten point tiebreak to hold off Evelyn Izaguirre 7-6, 3-6, 10-6. Jacobi returned to singles action at No. 2 and disposed of Cassandra Eng in straight sets. Arthofer and Furman helped clinch the match with victories at No. 3 and No. 4 singles respectively.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Sunday when they host Colgate in a key Patriot League match. First serve is set for 10 a.m. from the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 7 Towson 0
1. Schwartz/Furman (LU) def. Izaguirre/K. Young (TU) 8-1
2. Jacobi/Reich (LU) def. Peretz/Tamburo (TU) 8-6
3. Murasko-Blank/Cohen (LU) def. Ng/Walten (TU) 8-6
1. Allie Schwartz (LU) def. Evelyn Izaguirre (TU) 7-6, 3-6 (10-6)
2. Alexis Jacobi (LU) def. Cassandra Ng (TU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Ashley Peretz (TU) 7-5, 6-1
4. Ruthie Furman (LU) def. Natalie Walten (TU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Victoria Vityuk (LU) def. Katie Young (TU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Stacey Reich (LU) def. Jaclyn Tamburo (TU) 6-1, 6-1