Posted: March 15, 2008
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh snapped its three match losing streak on Saturday as the Mountain Hawks erased an early 3-1 deficit to defeat Niagara 4-3 at the Lewis Tennis Center. Sophomore Stacey Reich won the deciding point at No. 6 singles, after Lehigh dropped the doubles point and two of the first three singles points. With the victory the Mountain Hawks improve to 5-6 on the season.
In doubles action, Niagara captured the first point winning the first two flights. Reich and sophomore Julie Arthofer did pick up a win at No. 3 doubles, defeating Vanja Lakic and Victoria Tiso 8-7 and 7-2 in the tiebreak.
The Purple Eagles extended their lead as Raquel Solis beat junior Allie Schwartz at first singles and Shella Dargout won in straight sets over Ariela Cohen at second singles. Junior Ruthie Furman put Lehigh on the scoreboard, winning a second set tiebreak to defeat Emma Cunnington 6-1, 7-6.
Lehigh needed to win the three remaining matches and did just that, as junior Victoria Vityuk won easily over Tiso at No. 5 singles, and then Arthofer outlasted Lakic at No. 3 singles to tie the match at 3 and set up Reich to clinch it with her win.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Sunday when they open Patriot League play against defending league champion Army. First serve is set for 10 a.m. from the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 4 Niagara 3
1. Dangout/Roberts (NU) def. Schwartz/Furman (LU) 8-1
2. Solis/Cunnington (NU) def. Cohen/Jacobi (LU) 8-2
3. Arthofer/Reich (LU) def. Lakic/Tiso (NU) 8-7 (2)
1. Raquel Solis (NU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 7-6, 6-3
2. Shella Dargout (NU) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Vanja Lakic (NU) 6-2, 7-5
4. Ruthie Furman (LU) def. Emma Cunnington (NU) 6-1, 7-6
5. Victoria Vityuk (LU) def. Victoria Tiso (NU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Stacey Reich (LU) def. Kim Roberts (NU) 6-2, 6-3