Coach of Hockey Team
Head Coach: Tom Laessig
Tom Laessig, Lehigh class of 1983, has been named Head Coach of the Lehigh University Mountain Hawks Club Varsity Ice Hockey A team and will officially begin his duties in August. Tom received his Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting and Finance from Lehigh and was a member of Kappa Sigma Fraternity. He has been involved in coaching youth hockey since 1997 and was head coach of LaSalle College High School JV teams since 2008 and assistant coach of the LaSalle College High School Varsity Team for the 2011-2012 seasons. Coach Laessig is also affiliated with the Hatfield Ice Dogs serving as head coach since 2001.
Tom is proud of his Ice Hockey achievements which include:
- As Ice Dogs 18AA coach, was USA Hockey Tier 2 National champion in 2011. First DVHL champion ever and first Atlantic District Champion since 1999.
- Won the Delaware Valley Hockey League (DVHL) championship in 2010 and 2011.
- Placed first in 2012 DVHL league standings and represented the Atlantic District at Nationals for the second consecutive year.
- Qualified for playoffs at Nationals in 2012 and lost in the first round.
- Assistant coach of the Valley Forge Minutemen Tier 1 team in 2008
- Won the Atlantic District championship
- Won the bronze medal at USA Hockey Tier 1 National Tournament
- Four players from the Minutemen are currently playing NCAA Division 1 Hockey.
Tom resides in Lansdale, PA with his wife of 25 years, Mary Jo and their children TJ (23), a graduate of Penn State working for Capital One in Richmond, VA, Neil (21), a sophmore at Penn State studying Petroleum & Natural Gas Engineering and Amanda (16), in 10th grade at North Penn High School. Both sons, TJ and Neil played for Penn State’s Division 2 Hockey Team that competed in the 2012 National tournament in Fort Myers, FL.
Assistant Coach: Ben Sargent, Lehigh Class of 2013
Faculty Advisor: Professor Matthew Melone, Perella Department of Finance and Law